Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sarong Blanket

Believe it or not, it can actually get a *teensy* bit chilly here at night.
Granted, it's 80 degrees most nights.  But if there is a stiff breeze and we have our hatch open or if Scott has the fan on him, that little bit of moving air over my skin is enough to give me goosebumps.

We haven't used a blanket or a topsheet for bed since, gosh, the Bahamas maybe but because I'm sensitive to the slightest draft, I knew I needed something.  Something a little more than a sheet, but a lot less than a blanket.  Then it dawned on me!  Why not sew together a few sarongs and make my own blanket?

My friend Sharon from m/v Finally Fun had heard about a store in town that sold beautiful sarongs for $5 USD so off we went.  Sure enough we found them, and after digging through the bin for about thirty minutes we selected our wraps.  I bought four in total.  I figured on two sarongs per side because one isn't long enough to fully cover a person.  I picked out two sets of matching sarongs, the idea being one set per side thus creating a unique reversible blanket!

Sharon, who very well could have a masters degree in Home Economics (and knowing full well my lack of any domestic skills) offered to sew them for me using our friend Laurie's sewing machine.  She ALSO made a lovely curtain for our v-berth to cover the unsightly hawse pipe for our windlass.  It looks lovely.  She went above and beyond, matching seams, making hems and doing a MUCH better job than I would have done! I am so thankful!

The blanket is cozy, soft, and just enough to keep off the chill but not make me hot.  It's a one of a kind Caribbean blanket that can be used in bed, for picnics or on the beach!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Brittany, LOVE this idea! And LOVE that you found sarong's for only $5 - great price! I live in mine on the boat, and always thought about making a "blanket" with sarongs. Guess I might have to wait until next June when we get to Grenada! Thanks for sharing this!

Robert Salnick said...

I am so jealous!

Imagine how this reads in Seattle this morning (temp 54°)...

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

Mid-Life Cruising! said...

Great idea! As you know, I've been wondering about "dressing up" the v-berth and this is a great idea. Thanks for the info about your sleeping system that you use. We'd never heard of it before and sounds like something to think about.

I always have to have something over me while relaxing in the evening, and this lightweight sarong "blanket" sounds perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...